There's no denying it. Parents and teens are often at odds—but it doesn't have to be that way. When parents and teens learn together, they will have a common language and skills for a smoother ride through adolescence.
Families in Action is a lively program that gives families critical tools for the challenging teen years: communication, conflict resolution, encouragement, and more. Plus powerful information about preventing problems with drugs, alcohol, sex, and violence.
Combining entertaining video, group discussion, and activities, the program will teach you and your kids how to
• communicate without fighting
• work through power struggles
• understand each other's goals
• avoid the scary risks of adolescence (including drugs, alcohol, sex and violence)
• enjoy the wonderful journey to adulthood—together
Video, discussion, and activities make for a fast-paced workshop!
At the beginning of each session, parents and teens will go to separate rooms for a specialized class. At the end, the two groups get back together for a final exercise. Each session of the Families in Action classes features entertaining video, activities, and group discussion so you can share ideas with the leader and other families, too.
Coming Soon! Please check back for more information.
Introducing a Program for bringing parents and teens together... at last
Here's what you'll be learning
(Note: the content and format of each workshop is determined by the leader of that workshop and may differ slightly from what is shown below. )
Session I: The Active Parent Session II: Winning Cooperation
– Teens today – Who owns the problem?
– Styles of parenting – Active communication with teens
– Control vs. influence – Promoting cooperation between parents and teens
– Mutual respect
– Method of choice
Session III: Responsibility & Discipline Session IV: Building Courage & Redirecting Misbehavior
– Basic discipline – The Think-Feel-Do Cycle
– Problem-solving with FLAC – Courage and self-esteem
– Advanced discipline skills & – Five goals of teen behavior
logical consequences – Power struggles
Session V: Drugs, Sexuality, and Violence: Session VI: Drugs, Sexuality, and Violence:
Reducing the Risks, part 1 Reducing the Risks, part 2
– Overview of the issues – Prevention strategies 5-10
– Prevention strategies 1-4 – (with a focus on alcohol and other drugs)
– (with a focus on sexuality)
Session I: Session II:
– 5 key qualities of character – The Spiral of Success
– Understanding parents – Communication: the road to cooperation
– Your brain on adolescence
– The power of choice
– School success
– Challenges of teen life: drugs, sexuality and violence
Session III: Session IV:
– Responsibility and freedom – Courage and self-esteem
– The voice of discipline – The Think-Feel-Do Cycle
– Understanding and accepting consequences – Turn discouragement into encouragement
– Getting past power struggles
Session V: Session VI:
– 10 risk-prevention strategies for teens – Tobacco, alcohol, & other drugs
– Negative vs. positive influences – Bullying and relationship violence
– Talking about sexuality – Peer pressure
– Confronting high-risk behavior